Turkeyfoot Road – Thomas More Pkwy Realignment
Kenton County’s adopted transportation plan includes 22 “medium priority” projects. The offset intersection of Turkeyfoot Road (KY 1303) with Town Center Boulevard and Thomas More Parkway in Crestview Hills is one of those 22.
The following graphic provides a poster-sized examination of this critical piece of the community’s transportation infrastructure. It is complemented with an electronic Story Map that includes interactive illustrations, narrative text, images, and multimedia content that provide a more comprehensive look at this intersection’s issues.
The most-recent traffic counts for this area (2015) document over 45,000 vehicles encountering this intersection each day on their way to Crestview Hills Town Center, St. Elizabeth Healthcare, Thomas More College, and points beyond via I-275 to the north. Ironically, this count approximates the same number of vehicles that travel eastward through Crestview Hills on I-275 on a daily basis.
Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky’s metropolitan planning organization, the Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana Regional Council of Governments, uses a Regional Traffic Demand Model to analyze this intersection’s issues. That analysis shows that existing congestion:
• results from the close proximity of four signalized intersections with heavy turning movements;
• prompts motorists to queue regularly beyond the dual left-turn lanes;
• provoke motorists to have to sit through multiple traffic signal cycles frequently;
• forecasts Turkeyfoot Road’s Level of Service will worsen from “D” to “F” by 2040;
• predicts Town Center Boulevard’s Level of Service will worsen from “B” to “E” by 2040; and
• illustrates how this intersection’s critical crash rate exceeds today’s state averages by more than 250 percent.
Detailed demographic and business data provided here was obtained through Esri’s Business Analyst Online (November 2016).
POSTSCRIPT: The Story Map of which this illustration is a part may be found here. By the end of this Story Map experience, viewers will have a better understanding of the Turkeyfoot – Town Center – Thomas More realignment project in Crestview Hills.
Click on the image above to view the Crestview Hills Traffic Congestion Story Map.
Click the logo for more information about the implementation of Direction 2030